Monday, August 2, 2010

Travel induced food hoarding.

My alarm is set for eight hours from now. Our journey to Lima will happen in two flights. There are climbing plans to finalize, gear to double check, away messages to activate and my biggest concern is food.

Once upon a time airlines fed you while you traveled in their care. I learned from a savy childhood friend, on a surf trip to Mexico, if you tell them you are vegan you get great food. Turns out she was right; yogurt and granola, real cheese and crackers, cereal with soy milk...seriously!

Some years later my husband and I left Boston on separate flights to San Fransisco, to climb in Yosemite, I arrived first and headed straight for food. My flight left at the crack of dawn and it was sometime after three eastern time when we arrived, I had pretzels and ginger ale on the flight.

Apparently my meager in-flight offerings were luxurious, Erik arrived sweaty, eyes glazed, almost unable to speak, apparently he was offered only water on his seven plus hour Alaska Air flight.

I am convinced this experience changed me. I confess I have become a travel induced food hoarder.

The carry-on contents for tomorrow's departure include the following:

Spelt Bagels with tofu cream cheese (2)
Sweet and salty granola bards (4)
Individual hummus and cracker packs (4)
Organic fruit leathers (4)
Nectarines (3)
Baby Bella Cheeses (2)
Soy rice crisps (1 bag divided into two zip locks)
C Boost Smoothie 16 oz (1 for pre flight chugging)
Emergen-C packets (10)
Salted almonds (1/2 pound)

I can get through long layovers, delayed or canceled flights, crying children, obnoxious seat mates with the right sustenance. If you run your travel days on plastic cups of diet soda and mini bags of pretzels, try this once but caution it is habit forming.

No comments:

Post a Comment