Friday, January 6, 2012

Cheap Inspiration.

I turn thirty this July. The milestone doesn't phase me much but I am using it as a mid-year marker to get some things done that made there way to the bottom of the list in 2011 in favor of other urgent, necessary items and some spontaneous whims.

A few of the items on my list are investments in professional development. I never have trouble dropping money on these items or carving out time for them. There is always room in my budget for a new workshop and time in my schedule to learn from my peers.

There is a gross inequity in the way I treat the other items on my list, the personal ones and specifically the utterly self-serving and absolutely critical to my well-being ones, they always draw the short straw. But not in 2012. And here's why.

It is January and the ground is brown here in northern New Hampshire so I decided to borrow a bike trainer and get a jump on training to knock one item off the list, the Rev3 Olympic Distance Tri in the summer of 2012. When I picked up the trainer from my friend Sarah we got to talking about the event. I mentioned that I hadn't officially registered yet. No, I wasn't intimidated by the training or the .9 mile swim in the Atlantic. My hold up, spending $115 to compete in something just for the fun of it.

Sarah's smiled and said, "$115 is cheap inspiration, just do it".

She is absolutely right. When I register for a professional development workshop I sign up, carve out the time and go because I paid for it, because I'll learn something, meet a new contact and come back inspired to push myself in the office.

Being outside, pushing my physical and mental limits makes me a better person, feeds my creativity and productivity. And, I don't think I am alone. So as you look forward this year what items on your personal list will prioritize to challenge yourself, to connect a sense of adventure and accomplishment, to spark your creativity? Whatever you choose, make it count, make it epic.

“There is a certain part of all of us that lives outside of time. Perhaps we become aware of our age only at exceptional moments and most of the time we are ageless.”


And there you have it. Game On

You have registered for the 2012 Rev3 Maine

A copy of your receipt has been emailed to you.

Event Confirmation #

60592777-010512171833

Date

Sunday, August 26, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

Address

Old Orchard Beach, ME

Purchase

Alexandra (Sasha) Eisele - Olympic Rev - USAT Member

No comments:

Post a Comment