Saturday, April 10, 2010

Doing good well wants to get even better: Graduate school? MBA? Experience? A round the world trip?

When I graduated from college and began work in the nonprofit sector,
I fell in the love with fundraising. There is something about the magic of connecting a conscientious philanthropist with a chance to make a difference and watching their eyes light up when they realize in their own way the are literally changing the world, that makes me want to work harder.

In 2008 I broke out on my own to start a consulting business. The venture presented an opportunity to broaden my experience of nonprofit operations, the challenges facing the industry and deepen my understanding of what motivates individuals and corporations to give.

Two years in to the adventure of working for myself, I work for the toughest boss in my career, enjoy the benefits of a flexible schedule and explore the challenges and successes of the industry through the lens of a diverse body of clients. Life is grand.

Still, the stickies application on my laptop is littered with links to graduate programs, fellowships and national organizations I occasionally fantasize about working for.

My dearest childhood friend is a business analyst for Fidelity. He has a formula for how much time should be spend on work, professional development and prospecting.

According to his formula my seemingly schizophrenic digital post-its are nothing more then a routine piece of my professional practice.

The personal narrative the stickies, reveal is unique only in it is my short hand, the content of the links and specific high education institutions reflect my interests. The story is more universal, forces questions about which paths or combination of experiences will make each of us the competent, vibrant, dynamic professionals we strive to be.


Ask any mentor, teacher, family member or trusted colleague about the value of an MBA over experience or vice-versa, the best time to pursue your passions over a rigorous ladder climbing professional tract and each will have an answer they are certain is the right one.

I visit the stickies with regularity, often after a trip, breakthrough in my professional development or during times of frustration. Looking deep into the montage I try to read the notes like taro cards.

It took a trip to Joshua Tree, an hour of solitude in the desert and two years of convincing myself it was the right thing to do, to take the leap to work for myself. I am not looking to rush the next step. I look forward to moment when I look into the stickies or more likely out into the world and recognize the next move.

1 comment:

  1. ...On career progression/risk taking:

    There is no single right answer - rather a range of great possibilities. An executive who I greatly respect recently encouraged me to think about career advancement in terms of risk taking. Most people advance by taking smart risks. Complacency in keeping your current position will help you to continue to refine your skills - but after 2-3 years, the additional time in a similar role typically has diminishing (assuming you haven't advanced to get more responsibility (e.g., management experience)).

    So net net, don't get too comfortable - take risks to keep your professional life exciting. That said, don't burn bridges because if your risk doesn't work out, you might want to keep the option of going back.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete